Background

Saturday, February 25, 2012

"A woman's got to know her limitations" #2: Rice in a basket

Continuing the series on limitations, here's a fun one...

Limitation # 2: POINTS


I don't know what it is about visual aids with me, but I need to "SEE" things in order to understand.  I have been needing to get rid of some excess poundage, for some time, and decided that I needed a good motivator.  SO, knowing I needed to loose some weight, I bought a large bag of rice at Stater Brothers.  I was in shock to feel how heavy it was!  REALITY CHECK... I would NEVER voluntarily strap that on my back and go about my business.  BUT I had been willingly walking around with it every day for several years!  SO, when I got home, I measured 1 pound of rice into multiple ziplock baggies.   Well, you guessed it...when a pound is lost, a bag of rice goes from the basket to the jar.  When I need motivating or encouragement, I pick up the basket to see how much I have left to loose.  The jar is nearly full, I'm happy to say, and the basket is more than half empty.

I have done LOTS of different kinds of diets, but I have really been enjoying the Weight Watchers plan online since January 1st.  No foods are off limits, and the point system is calculated for you for just about every possible food.  If it's not in their online list, you can fill in the fat, carb, fiber, and protien content, on the website's calculator, and find the point value.  You are given a set number of points for each day, based on how much weight you want to loose, and also a weekly amount that can be used anytime you want in one week, so Grandkids birthday parties, can be enjoyed, and an occasional cookie, or bowl of chips.  These "treats" are fun to look forward to.  I think this kind of a diet is really good because it helps retrain good habits, and choices.  If you choose to blow all the points on a hamburger and fries for lunch, you're going to be very hungry at dinner, so best to choose something more nutritious.  Now an occasional hamburger IS ok, but only within the points you've been given, so hold the cheese please, and maybe cut it in half, and split the fries with someone.  You get the idea.  Instead of the big bowl of ice cream, limit it to 1/2 cup.

Of course exercise is encouraged, and so I have been brisk walking 3 times per week, when Gary is at the Adult Day Health Care.  20 minutes earns 2 points, which can be traded for 2 points of  food, or not.   I like to use that time to pray and enjoy our beautiful Friendly Valley, or Bridgeport Lake in Valencia.
Bridgeport Lake

Friendly Valley











I've been enjoying my food more, the flavors, and the seasonings.  I feel more energetic, and am slowly regaining the use of a few items in my closet.  2/3 of the rice bags are already in the jar, and 1/3 are still in the basket, so I'm not done, but I am looking forward to new habits forming.  Lifestyle change. 

So, along with budgeting TIME,(see last post), I am also budgeting POINTS.  I've got a few more limitations I'm going to share with you in upcoming posts, so stay tuned!

"...do you know know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?  For you have been bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body."  1 Corinthians 6:19-20

"Whether, then you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."  1 Corinthians 10:31 

5 comments:

  1. Love this Laurie! I started back on WW (today is day 3!) and find the discipline of it good for the soul as well as the body. We all have limitations on our time, our money, and with WW, points! The key in life is to acknowledge those limitations and live accordingly (much easier said than done!) I really like their system too - it is a very balanced approach. Keep it up, and thanks for being an example and an encouragement :)

    -Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you find yourself cooking for yourself? I'm running out of ideas that are quick and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to stir fry. It's quick, and easy clean up (only a cutting board and a cast iron skillet! If you just use a little olive oil, (1-2 Tab.) and less meat, like 1/2 chicken breast, or 1 interesting sausage from Trader Joes, almost all vegies are 0 points. Nothing tastes better than stir fried onions, peppers, celery, green beans, carrots. If you want to go asian, add big pieces of napa cabbage and canned pineapples, then some soy sauce, and pineapple juice from the can. Thicken with some cornstarch. If you are in an italian mood, add lots of spinach, a few sun dried tomatoes, and use some oregano, and basil with a little pasta sauce. Now the trick is to avoid the rice/pasta/potato side dish! (grrrr...my favorite part), or just stick to 1/2 cup of the starchy stuff. There's a million variations on stir fry, so have fun!

    For dinner I also resort to "the big salad" many times too. Having some cooked chicken breast on hand, is great so you can go "taco salad" or "cobb salad". Fortunately, Gary likes everything.
    For Lunch I usually have a "wrap" made with a low cal tortilla and 1 tsp of mayo, and some mustard, or hummus. Again, little meat, and lots of vegies inside.

    For me, the biggest problem is portion control at dinner, and snacking after dinner. Still working on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah me too!! Dinner always gets me! That sounds yummy! I'm going to try it sometime this week or weekend! Keep on keeping on! :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Laurie. That's a good time to fit in exercise when Gary is at adult day care. Your food tips are excellent as well.

    Carol
    Also on Weight Watchers

    ReplyDelete